nafex - [nafex] Quince

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Quince
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:17:40 -0500 (EST)

Hi Lon,

I have a quick quince question...

I germinated a number of your non-astrigent quince last spring. A number
of them went into pots, some went to Bert Dunn and I planted a few in a
nursery row. The ones in the nursery row still have green leaves and it
is December, we have had snow, and a number of hard frosts. Mostly we
have had rain and temps warmer than usual.

However, all the other trees have lost their leaves.

The only thing unusual is that the nursery row is little more than gravel
with pig manure roto tilled into it last spring. They are also myco fungi
treated (but that should not matter).

Any ideas why a quince would have leaves when other trees lost theirs
months ago?

Just an oddity I noticed in regards the quince growing in gravel. Potted
quince lost their leaves quite a while ago.

I assume that they are not accumulating chill hours while they still have
green leaves.

Later,
Tom

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!