nafex - [nafex] Flemish Beauty Pear

  • From: "woodard214" <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Flemish Beauty Pear
  • Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:11:18 -0000

Flemish Beauty is considered quite susceptible to fireblight and pear
scab. It is of the best quality for fresh eating. This seems to be
its general reputation wherever it is hardy in Eastern Canada. It
loses flavour when cooked. Dried slices are good.

The tree has traditionally been considered about the hardiest of the
cultivars originiating in Belgium and France. In 1906 it was
recommended for commercial growing at Maitland, Ontario, near
Brockville in the St. Lawrence Valley ("when grown in sod"), not much
warmer than Dundela where the McIntosh apple originated. It has been
grown fairly widely in the warmer parts of the upper St. Lawrence
River Valley. It often lasts some time when planted in somewhat
colder areas. I have the impression that it was considered not quite
hardy enough for regular yields and long term survival in the Ottawa
area.

In the 1970's I talked to a commercial grower (his mainstay was
apples) who grew Flemish Beauty and Clapp's on a small scale near
Brockville.

I would say that Flemish Beauty is good for home growing in cold
areas where disease pressure is light or where fungicides and high
standards of fireblight control are used. Where there is much
fireblight I doubt it is worth growing.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

--- In nafex@y..., "edforest2010" <edforest55@h...> wrote:
> In my last post I meant to say Flemish Beauty not Clapps Favorite,
and
> Honeysweet not Harrow Sweet, so, when I said:
>
> " . . . one of the best tasting pears for this area, as
> good as a Comice I'd say, large, evenly textured, but of course
> susceptible to FB."
>
> I was referring to Flemish Beauty not Clapps Favorite (I always
> confuse those two, same number of syllables you know ;)
>
> Also, when I said Harrow Sweet, I meant Honeysweet. Honeysweeet is
the
> most amazingly excellent pear I've had, very sweet and great
texture.

Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe loving
friends?
Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ltdUpD/QrSDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM