nafex - Re: [nafex] How would you prune these trees?

  • From: Phil Norris <COUSINPHIL@ACADIA.NET>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] How would you prune these trees?
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 16:53:29 -0500

Sven,

What part of the world do you live in?

Actually those trees look pretty well formed. They just need to be
thinned out a bit. I wouldn't get too drastic if I were you though.
Plan on bringing the height down over a period of years. If you remove
too much foliage wood at one time the tree will go into shock. I like
to prune so that the upper branches are directed back down toward the
ground. Sort of an umbrella shape. I think that would be a good way
to start. Pruning the top growth will encourage new growth lower
down. You can work on bringing the height down as new foliage comes in.

On Saturday, December 15, 2001, at 03:11 PM, Sven Merten wrote:

> Hi NAFEXers,
>
> I need to pruned some older trees that haven't been pruned in quite a
> while. I've posted some pictures at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/scoutdog/Trees.html
>
> How would you prune them? The apricots are maybe 15-25 feet tall. I
> can bring the height down to 6 feet or so and open the center up. Of
> course that means removing most of the branches which is pretty drastic,
> is there a better way of doing it? The other way I was considering was
> to leave most of the larger branches, thin out maybe 2/3 of the smaller
> ones, and head back the remaining 1/3. This would again result in a
> large tree.

As for the 12 foot apples, if a tree is very vigorous you can do almost
anything you want to it and it will do fine. If the vigor is marginal
then any pruning you do will cut down on the tree's ability to absorb
sunlight and it may not thrive.

> The apples are maybe 12 feet tall and I'd like to bring the height down
> a little. Is that a good idea? Do I need to thin out some of the
> branches in the center?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

> 4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting
> and NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was
> large).
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Phil Norris
88 Clayfield Rd
East Blue Hill ME 04629
207 374 2159

Call any Phone in the World from your PC with CrystalVoice
-LOW rates world-wide - $0.039/min in U.S.
FREE trial. Click here.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ib1xVB/IxbDAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM