nafex - Re: [nafex] Preferred Pear??

  • From: Ed Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Preferred Pear??
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:29:45 -0500

nottke wrote:

> While I have read Pomona for a few years, I am new to this listserve.
> Looking for some advice.
>
> I have three 97 year old pear trees that are on their last legs; two
> Kieffer and an "apple pear". I would like to put in a few more pear trees.
> Here in the foot of the foothills 15 miles west of Winston-Salem in Zone 7A
> in good red clay (contains a fair proportion of sand, so not too hard to
> work), would "Warren" be a most preferred variety?

My response-------

Ninety seven year old trees!! Your red clay must not be too bad!

I'd recommend Warren (or Magness-near the same), Honeysweet (a larger
seckel type), Harvest Queen, a new one called Green Jade (which ripens on
the tree), Chojuro asian and Korean Giant (asian).

That's about it for a few of the better ones available which have legit
resistance to fireblight. With Warren or Magness, you'll need a nearby
pollinator.

Ed, So. Indiana, heaven, happy as a pig in slop, etc.