nafex - Re: [nafex] Braiding Apple Grafts

  • From: Clayton/Kim <dnclayton@monad.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Braiding Apple Grafts
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 23:41:12 -0400

Bernie,

I've been "braiding" for five or six years. Primarily I've used braiding
where I've been top working apples by the branch. I will get two scions
growing in a cleft graft where I've cut an old (1" to 3" diameter) branch
back, then weave these two resulting whips together. Careful weaving can
"place" branches too (direction of growth can be controlled). I picked this
technique up from our top extension guy here in NH, Bill Lord. (He
would probably be horrified by my imperfect interpretation of what he showed
me while passing through my orchard once). Have also done this with
multiple buds on a young rootstock or where a rootstock got so big it was
better to cleft graft it. I've been using a "high quality" black plastic
electrical tape to tie the tips together at the end of the braid per Bill
Lord's instructions.

I also use this braiding technique instead of pruning occasionally if I see a
place where vigor can be preserved and/or a branch "placed" by
braiding instead of pruning.

Doug Clayton
zone4/5 boundary
SE NH