nafex - [nafex] Clementines

  • From: "Betty Mayfield" <bmayfield@columbia-center.org>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Clementines
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:51:52 -0800

I had just read in this morning's Oregonian that Clementines from Spain
were barred because of the medfly, and right afterward found this thread on
the morning e-mail. Had never heard of them before. I went to the
darlingclem site, which said they were a type of Mandarin, and that the
ones from Spain were more strongly flavored than the domestic ones.

Sam's praise of Satsuma tangerines I agree with. After testing all
available varieties in the markets, several years ago I found that Satsumas
were the only ones with the true tangerine flavor. But the last two years
or so, markets carry nothing but seedless Satsumas, and they have lost all
the typical flavor--just sweet and watery.

Betty Mayfield
Northwest Oregon

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout