nafex - [nafex] Re: zone 3 peaches

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: zone 3 peaches
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 02:17:08 -0000

If you look back in your Pomona's several years you will find an
article written by a fellow in a cold part of Alaska who grew peaches
successfully, without winter protection, not sure what zone but I
believe it was at least as cold as zone 3.
He topgrafted a hardy plum to peaches. They made the winter but
bloomed too early so he grafted the tips of the peach branches back to
plum (or some other late bloomer). This caused the peaches to bloom
later and apparently it worked. Its called, aptly enough
"sandwiching".
I have just begun this experiment myself so can't say how it will do.
I budded Reliance to a super hardy plum, a P americana, this Sept.
They took beautifully.
I was disappointed to hear someone mention that there is some problem
with such a union, if I recall, a short lived union, due to
incompatabilty.
So I'm going to try using Siberian C peach as the frame next year.
These I will topwork to Reliance, hopefully prolonging the life of
Reliance in zone 4/5. And on some I will try the sandwiching technique
and take them to my zone 3 site.
Kevin B
z 3 and 5

See What You've Been Missing!