nafex - [nafex] off the wall procedures

  • From: hayner9@cs.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] off the wall procedures
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:44:10 EST

Hi Lucky,
Thanks for the warning about the kitty litter. Actually I thought of it as
more a curiosity than anything else- but you're right. The apple trees are
not bearing age, I will have covered it up by then.
I was also considering planting castor bean plants around the edge of the
garden to keep the voles from using it as a highway, but read that ONE bean
can kill a child! I knew it was something that would make you sick , but had
no IDEA that it was that deadly. Maybe voles aren't so bad after all...
Another thing I've done, with excellent results, is a way to use excess or
unwanted wool. We have very tight clay ground, I had been completely
unsuccessful in getting any form of blueberry to grow on it. I tried mulching
it, watering during hot dry spells ( of course, by then the clay would set up
like a brick and the water would just run away). Finally, in desperation, I
ordered a group of bushes to be my lasst attempt. I also had a great pile of
filthy wool sitting around, so why not? I dug a big hole for each bush,
stuffed it with a hunk of wool about the size of a toy poodle, plopped a bush
right on top of it and covered it up. Watered it well, really soaked the
ground- and that was that. No mulch on top. Later when I had opportunity, I
scattered some pine needles around. Those bushes have never had the least
amount of attention, and have never looked back We have had years of severe
drought, they only had a few berries, but they didn't die. They are spreading
like crazy. I highly recommend this to anyone who knows anyone with sheep.
Amy
Clayhill Farm, z7

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!