nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Persimmon recommendations for zone 5

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Persimmon recommendations for zone 5
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2001 18:20:52 -0700

Here in Oregon, Meader will set seedless fruit if there is NO male around.
If there is a male, and the Meader flowers are pollinated, they set seeded
fruit. If not pollinated, they set the seedless fruit. I DON'T know if
this is consistent. Prof. Meader once told me someone had reported American
persimmons setting seedless fruit when exposed to chestnut pollen. I do
have chestnuts here, but as far as I can tell, the persimmons bloom weeks
before they do.
Jim Claypool's F-100 is a "male" in that most of the flowers are male,
but many of them will set small seedless fruits, and some of the flowers
actually develop enough to become perfect flowers, and set seeded fruit. It
now seems that it's fairly common in American persimmons for males to be
able to set small, seedless fruit in some years. Seems partly to be a
stress reaction.
Kenny Maxfield in Idaho also showed that a lot of American persimmons
are likely hardy to at least -30 F, if not more. In many cases, it seems to
be a matter of growing them where the summer is fairly dry, at least in the
latter half, to encourage more hardening of the wood. There is definitely a
genetic element, though, because he grew many seedlings and there was
variation in how well they hardened. He sent out seed of many good
persimmons as part of a persimmon improvement plan, and people in several
areas were growing them out, but I don't have a list of them. We need a
notice in POMONA to re-locate those people and see what their results are by
now.
-Lon
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.bunchgrapes.com

----------
>From: edforest55@hotmail.com
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Re: Persimmon recommendations for zone 5
>Date: Sat, Oct 6, 2001, 9:52 AM
>

>Which brings me to my question: Are you implying that if the fruit of
>a Meader is "pollenized" by a male branch from a Meader, that it will
>either not bear fruit at all (if in the wrong location) or will bear
>seedless fruits (as in Oregon)as long as there aren't any other male
>trees nearby... From the nursery descriptions, the Meader is the only
>one that is listed as hardy to -35 F. None of the others have a
>rating. I am thinking of growing enough for sale to local coops. So,
>size and lack of seeds would be factors as well as flavor. Yates
>seems to be the largest, at 2.25" but hardiness I don't know. The
>literature says that it too will produce seedless fruit if "grown
>without a pollinator". I suppose that it, like the Meader must
>produce male branches.

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!