nafex - Re: [nafex] Pistachio and olives

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pistachio and olives
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:04:35 -0700

FWIW I looked into both plants at one time. Pistachio needs hot, dry
conditions to grow decently. Here in Oregon, for example, we have dry
summers, but not enough heat, and the trees grow about one to 6 inches per
year, if you are lucky, and they look ratty as heck with disease. I never
saw any get big enough to bear (though they are very slow to bear anyway).
Olives need dry conditions to set, and while they might survive in zone 8 in
a sheltered area, odds are very good you would never see a crop on them.
I believe about the only way you might have a chance would be to get seed of
them from the northern edge of the range and grow out as many seedlings as
you could, in hopes one might have a bit better adaptibility to your area.
Start while you are young and you might live to see some good ones.
-Lon
----------
>From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Pistachio and olives
>Date: Thu, Sep 27, 2001, 8:47 AM
>

>At 02:58 PM 09/27/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>>Does anyone know if there has been any work on a disease/fungus
>>resistant variety of Pistachio?
>
>Robert,
>Dr. Louise Ferguson, at the UC-Davis Fruit & Nut Research Center, is
>probably one of the foremost university authorities on pistachios. She
>might be a good person to contact on this topic, but be forewarned that in
>my own experience with her, and I've heard similar reports from other NAFEX
>members, she can be singularly unhelpful. I'd like to think that maybe she
>was just having a bad day.
>

>Lucky Pittman
>USDA Zone 6
>Hopkinsville, KY

>4) Include only pertinent comments/questions when replying to a posting and
>NOT the entire message (especially if the initial posting was large).

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ujOgTC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM