nafex - Re: [nafex] bud118 propagating

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] bud118 propagating
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:29:45 -0400

Hello,

Has this constriction method ever been used in rooting
dormant hardwood cuttings?

In my limited experience, I find that those that fail seem
to put all their energy into leafing out, which then fails
due to a lack of roots.

Would the constriction (restriction of cutting reserves) of
the above ground portion of the cutting force more energy
into the production of roots?

Regards,
Tom

del stubbs wrote:

> 2 months ago I posted a query about stooling a b118 whose
> graft had failed -
> and had 4 suckers. The 2 replies said ...use bread ties
> to constrict the
> juices.....or, just pile dirt around it, they naturaly
> root.
> In this highly scientific experiment :) I found both to be
> true. but the
> shoots with bread tie restriction had much longer roots,
> one of the sprouts
> breaking off at the tie when I moved it and having
> sufficient roots to go it
> alone. My efforts a year ago at stooling prunus americana
> all failed to
> self-root, so I'll give gread ties a try next year on
> them. Thanks Mn.
> Del, where we still haven't had a real frost, and the
> yelow jackets have
> gone to bed -- so were getting autumn bliss raspberries
> yet.
>
> ___

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM