nafex - [nafex] Re: The summer of my discontent (some things off topic)

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: The summer of my discontent (some things off topic)
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 14:02:17 -0000

Unfortunately, I've probably attempted budding 20 times and have
never been successful. I have been tempted to check to see if the
peach scion wood from my attempted spring grafts (another failure,
but it was a "non-standard" method for peaches) was still alive and
try to bud it. But I haven't had the time, and I'd be concerned that
the old wood (if even still alive) would be weakened or would try to
sprout.

My problem with Northern Spy may be that I've been trying to graft it
on very dwarfing rootstock. I thought this might speed up the time
to fruiting (as my fathers semi-dwarf N. Spy just fruited this year
after being planted twelve (or more) years ago).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6

--- In nafex@y..., "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@h...> wrote:
> If you hurry, there is still time to chip bud the persimmons and
pawpaws -
> that could give you a "save" on those for the year.
> ----------
> >From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@a...>
> >To: nafex@y...
> >Subject: [nafex] The summer of my discontent (some things off
topic)
> >Date: Fri, Aug 31, 2001, 12:19 PM
> >

> >3) Previously, I had grafted PawPaw with 100% success. This year
> >had only 3/7 takes (two strong and one weak take). The takes were
> >broken off (although the weak take may have expired before being
> >broken off), so I ended up being 0 for 7. My source for most of
my
> >wood is elderly, so I may not be able to get scion wood when my
> >rootstock is ready for grafting again. Plus I believe one of my 4
> >rootstocks (that I had raised from seed) did not survive the
grafting
> >process.
> >4) Kaki Persimmon grafting was a bust (0 for 4 attempts).

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/VAOolB/TM