nafex - Re: [nafex] netting woes

  • From: "Mark Garrison" <pawpaw1@home.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] netting woes
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:51:01 -0400

> I killed a few
> juncos and several chipmunks (and still got not a berry.) I have no
> idea how the juncos even got in - maybe they are small enough to creep
> through the holes. I now make sure that none of my nets is fixed to the
> ground. Oddly, not only did I reduce the chipmunk take, but I haven't
> caught a bird since. I did catch a chipmunk recently where the netting
> was bunched on the ground.
>
> In a couple of years when the blueberries get going for real, I'll let
> you know if netting draped to a couple of inches above the ground is
> good enough.

Ginda, if the netting over your blueberries isn't fastened to the ground
the berries will be appreciated by hordes of flocking birds. My experience
is that each year only a couple of birds get caught and expire in my netting
over 2+ acres, and they are ones that got inside somehow and are trying to
get out. If you only want to harvest some of your berries, a selection of
bird-scare devices will hold off the worst incursions for a week or so. We
tried that one year but ended up losing way too many berries, so went back
to netting. Still have the devices if anyone is interested.

Mark Garrison, RI zone 6

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!