nafex - Re: Birds & tomatoes (was Re: [nafex] raspberries, netting, and birds)

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: Birds & tomatoes (was Re: [nafex] raspberries, netting, and birds)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 13:07:53 -0500

Betty,
The birds will peck holes in 2-pounders if they are thirsty enough. They
see tomatoes as a source of water. Putting water pans and bird baths near
the veggie garden helps some, but not totally. Birds are attracted by the
bright red color. One friend puts red Christmas balls on his tomato cages
about the time his plants have set their fruit. The birds come and peck at
the glass balls and go away. When the tomatoes ripen, the birds leave them
alone, thinking they are too hard to eat.

Generally, the hotter the summer weather, the more inclined birds are to go
after tomatoes.
Doreen Howard