nafex - [nafex] Fruit Certification

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Fruit Certification
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:13:57 -0400

Del: You might want to visit the website of the Center for Food Safety
and Nutrition <cfsan.fda.gov>, which is part of the FDA. You can obtain
the forms necessary to register a business producing low-acid canned
foods. The big fear of low-acid foods is the possible presence of
botulism, but you can apparently market them if your production facility
and processes meet FDA requirements.
I am assuming here that any berries you might supply to the yogurt
factory would be in a cooked-down form, similar to jam, since I don't
think putting fresh berries in yogurt would fly on the commercial
market, although we do it at home.
I don't know what's in these forms, and the requirements may be much
more than you would be willing or able to meet. I would also think your
level of production would have to be fairly high to make it worthwhile.
But it could be worth a look. I found the cfsan site by starting at the
<www.fda.gov> site.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA