nafex - [nafex] more on urine

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] more on urine
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:34:05 +0000

If anyone has ever read Malabar Farm by Louis Bromfield, he makes some
great claims for urine as fertilizer also. In the book he stresses
avoiding the loss of beneficial soil nutrients found in livestock manure
by bedding animals deep and thus not losing urine into the ground in
open shed barns, but having it absorb into the straw and be spread with
manure.
Another use for human urine taken from the book Never Cry Wolf mimics
animals marking their territory. I can say from experience that this
works. By pouring a trickle of urine around the perimeter of the garden,
it is possible to repel many types of animals from entering it. The
garden will be surrounded by an invisible fence. We used it many years
ago when we had a woodchuck family denned less than 10' away on a
neighbor's land. Renewed weekly, depending on weather, it worked well
then and I've been told that it works equally well to keep dogs out of
plantings. Maybe someone could experiment with it around fruit tree
plantings for deer repellent.
gotta go ... gotta go ... gotta go ..................vic NH zone 3