nafex - Re: [nafex] irrrigation systems

  • From: "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@cet.com>
  • To: "Robert H." <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>, nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] irrrigation systems
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:30:09 -0800

On 17 Aug 2001, at 14:13, Robert H. wrote:

> I just bought a book on different kinds of irrigation systems.
> drip irrigation seems the least expencive and most flexible.
> I dont have much land so it shouldnt be difficut to install.
>
> I wanted to know what you all have
>
> Any suggestions or warnings?

I use both individual emitters (for trees) and drip tape (berries and
garden), although I would consider using drip tape for all of it. A
good source for materials is Dripworks. You can request a
catalog at www.dripworksusa.com. There is a book I don't have
access to at the moment that is pretty good about drip irrigation,
even though it puts in a dig about NAFEX--what book are you
using? I'll try to get you the name of this book which also has a
fairly basic discussion of evapotranspiration (so you can figure out
how much water to apply.)

1. Timers are nice.
2. You MUST have a filter on any driip system. I would
recommend a 200 mesh filter.
3. There are a variety of flow rates. The selection of these can
vary based on soil, whether you're on a pump or water system,
and other factors.
4. MULCH is helpful with or without drip irrigation, and will keep the
water where you want it better.

Greg Miller
Zone6
Spokane, WA