nafex - [nafex] Re: iron, off topic

  • From: "Kieran or Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: iron, off topic
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:35:04 -0500

Ginda wrote:

My father once treated a man with a weird genetic disease that leads to too
much iron. The diagnosis was tricky (because it's rare and weird) but the
treatment was simple - regular bloodletting.

No, Ginda, it's unbelievably common. 1 in 7 carries the gene and can
overload iron. The doctors all think it's rare, their textbooks say so, so
no one tests for it. Since as massage therapist I see lots of people who
are either tense or in pain or both, several times a week I write down the
names of the tests to ask for. Without a specific request, your doctor will
not test for this. Even so, he may refuse, or refuse to treat for it when
the test results are high. There are only 3 doctors in 8 neighboring
counties here that recognize and treat iron overload. I am bringing this up
because about 80% of NAFEXers are men, and men get hit the worst with this.
Premature graying is one risk factor, as well as a family history of heart
disease, type 2 diabetes, and arthritis. I also note that people with it
are very active, can't sit still, are often psychic, good at reading people,
often good salesmen. Some develop mental problems, bad tempers, or
alcoholism, but I don't know if I can blame fruit fanaticism on it. The
best of the 3 organizations for information is at iod@ironoverload.org
Does anyone remember the name of the orchard we toured in Huntsville?
One of the brothers who owned it rubbed his elbows during his speech. I
talked to him afterward, he said it was from pruning. Now I think it may
have been iron overload, the men I see with a lot of symptoms often complain
of elbow or shoulder pain. I'd like to contact the guy, if anyone can tell
me the name of the orchard. Thanks. Donna