nafex - Re: [nafex] cedar apple rust

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] cedar apple rust
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 23:26:47 -0400

Thanks, I will look up CAR. It doesn't look terribly harmful, given
that a very small fraction of the total leaf surface is affected, and
the rest of the leaves look healthy.

If cold weather after pollination can cause russetting, that's probably
it. We had some frost well into bloom - I was surprised that the
flowers and new growth seemed unharmed. I had wondered if the apparent
russetting might be related to the spots.

Ginda

dwalsh/wchase wrote:

> Ginda,
>
> I thought someone more knowledgeable might answer by now.
>
> I wonder if you have cedar apple rust?
>
> I know pear rellis rust very well and I think your symptoms sound like they
> may be
> cedar apple rust.
>
> The russeting is probably due to cold weather soon after pollination ... or
> it
> could be due to sprays of some chemicals.
>
> Derry
>
> Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email: wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
> Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
> phone/fax (604) 856-9316
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> -----
> :
> : 2) My third tree has no problem with yellowing leaves. It does,
> : however, have several leaves with a disease or insect. From the top,
> : there is a brown spot ranging from 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so. It is
> : surrounded by an orange and yellow donut, and the rest of the leaf looks
> : healthy and green. I assumed it was some fungus, perhaps scab. I just
> : noticed that on the bottom of some of the larger spots there is a
> : swelling of green tissue, with little fuzzy "hairs" emerging. They are
> : up to 1/8 inch long, and look like the fuzzy structure that grow on some
> : insects in form (although they are clearly growing from the leaf, and
> : not an attached insect. Does anyone know what this is? A large
> : fraction of the apples (a small yellow seedling crab) seem to be heavily
> : russetted
> : Thanks,
> : Ginda Fisher
> : eastern Mass. zone 6