nafex - Re: [nafex] Crandall Currant ripeness

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "nafex@yahoogroups.com" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Crandall Currant ripeness
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 23:14:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I have between 2 and 3 liters of berries per Crandall. I have read that
they will all ripen (yeah) within a 2 week window, and they will hang for
some time while ripe, making them a good selection for commerical
production.

While picking I take the black colored berries, and those that I figure
will be black the next day, leaving the purple and green berries. Then I
left of the Crandalls.

I am still in awe that a plant 1 year old could produce this many good
tasting, good sized berries.

Amazing! Do Crandalls usually produce so much?

Caging or trellis is a must as the plants would be dragged to the ground
under the weight of the fruit. I use peony cages as they offer good
support and are easy to pick through.

But I am just a novice with Crandall, and reall happy with them so far.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> When is the best time to pick Crandalls? I've never had a big enough
> crop before for this to be an issue, but I have quarts of berries
> hanging on the bushes. Most are black, some are nearly there, some are
> still kind of green.
>
> Are they best when they first turn black? After a couple of days? Can
> they all be picked at once or should I pick as each one ripens?
>
> This year's berries seem much larger but less intensely flavored than my
> last crop (two years ago.) Do they get bland when they get too big, or
> are these under/over ripe?
>
> Thanks,
> Ginda Fisher
> eastern Mass, zone 6