nafex - [nafex] Neem Oil and Peaches

  • From: "Ward Barnes" <ward_p_barnes@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Neem Oil and Peaches
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:15:38

Good Morning:

At the recommendation of a NAFEX member I tried Neem oil on my peach trees.
The results were favorable on brown rot, but, not as good as I had hoped. I
am expecting better results next year as I was unable to get the oil applied
until after the brown rot had a start on some of the fruit.

My plum harvest was a bust. About 1 and 1/2 weeks from prime harvest a
heavy wind storm came through the orchard and sent 95% of the fruit to the
ground. A two day rain has finally broken the drought. The lack of rain
may have affected the ability of the plums to hang onto the branches or I
may have to add something to the soil. Any suggestions?

Apples and Grapes look to be a banner year and I will be making both apple
and grape jelly/jam. Several families from our Christian Fellowship will be
joining my family for the harvest and canning.

For my first year in planting tomatoes I used two year old horse compost in
the vegetable bed and then covered the bed in a porous fabric to control
weeds and retain moisture. I had to re-stake the plants twice and they are
now over 8 feet tall. I have more tomatoes then I can give away.

The Japanese Beatles were a problem in the eggplant and cherry but not to
the point where they were not controllable. After a spring attack the
beatles left the grapevines alone (I did not spray the vines).

Tent caterpillars made an appearance in the English walnuts and I used fire
applied to a wad of newspaper on the end of a stick to burn the nests.
Seems to have done the trick. I expect a small pecan harvest as the trees
are finally old enough to bear.

Ward Barnes
Coastal Zone 7/8
Wake, VA.