nafex - [nafex] Blossom End Rot (off topic)

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Blossom End Rot (off topic)
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:43:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All,

I have a tomato/green pepper question if someone would like to field it
privately.

We are water stressed here in SW Ontario (less than 1/2" of rain in past
month), and I believe this has lead to my blossom end rot.

I am going to strip affected tomatos, and try to add som water soluable
lime to see if I can protect unaffected fruit. I am not going to spray
calcium as I know the water I have put on them is loaded with calcium in
the soil (very hard water, watered Mon&Fri, just enough to stay alive).

My guess is that it is a combination of the manure I rototilled into the
soil this spring and lack of regular rain.

What is the best way to get lime into the soil to help get calcium moving
in the plants again?

With luck I will save the unaffected tomatos, and prevent blossom end rot
on green peppers which are about to set fruit.

Any help appreciated. I have never had a garden where you had to truck in
every bit of water before, and the season being so dry.

Regards,
Tom
--
Thomas Olenio