nafex - [nafex] Re: Just a second Doreen

  • From: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Just a second Doreen
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:22:29 -0000

Doreen wrote:

Multiple crowns provide more flower stalks. So for pure production,
you get
more in a confined space. Plus, the fruit size will
be bigger due to better
plant vigor. This has worked for me in the past and
I'm sticking with it.
:-) If I were after long-term production, I'd thin
and let runners form,
but I'm not.

My reply:

Interesting. The other year I wrote about my strawberry method in
POMONA. Since then a number of NAFEXers have adopted the procedure
and calim success. But now you have me thinking about multiple
crowns. I just assumed when I renovated (in my case this consists of
cutting all leaves off at the crown and root pruning each plant with a
sharpened can)that I should also cut out the multiple crowns. But I
have not experimented. Since my goal is a very long term planting I
am curious about what effect multiple crowns would have over time.
Any guesses anyone?

Wishing all of you the best,

the fluffy bunny