nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting chestnuts

  • From: DocKW@aol.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting chestnuts
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:18:45 EDT

My son has the chestnut "bug" and we are collecting and grafting local
sprouts to
american seedlings (purchased from the American Chestnut Foundation nursery)
and this year we got 100% take....about 8 grafts...in the greenhouse.
THis is maybe the hard way to do things, but we potted the seedlings and got
them into the greenhouse where we budded them. The heat there calloused the
grafts
very quickly and we were able to force them mostly by pinching the tips of
the rootstock.
We are going to plant them out in a 10x10 pattern and plan to have about 20
or so by the time we finish. If we can get (read that convince) the Ag
station to give or sell us some of their hypovirulent blight material maybe
we can actually keep a small amount of our few remaining trees for breeding.
Meantime, we go over our breeding American parent trees with orchard spray
and they seem to remain free of blight.
Karl Olson zone 5 Connecticut