nafex - [nafex] Potted Fruit? Soil

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Potted Fruit? Soil
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 08:27:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

While reading about potting up Evans suckers, the thought crossed my mind
to ask what people are using as a soil mix for potted fruit?

I did not give it much thought when I potted up some apple and quince this
season, and now I am curious.

I used 1/3 sand, 1/3 finished compost. 1/3 peat moss. I figured it would
drain well, have nutrients, and retain some water.

Is this the best mix for potted fruit?

Secondly, I have been feeding with fish emulsion as these trees are all
treated with myco. fungi. The fish emulsion is very low in fertilizer
value (5-1-1 named Muskie) and I am curious how often 1' tall potted apple
and quince saplings in 9" pots need to be fed this type of fertilizer?

Would compost tea be better?

I am using the potting technique to overcome space issues. I am one of
those people on less than 1/4 acre who has a passion for fruit. After I
grow the rootstock and graft it, I find a home for it in a declining
orchard nearby.

Thanks,
Tom
--