nafex - [nafex] huckleberries

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] huckleberries
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 09:30:30 -0500

At 12:00 PM 06/25/2001 +0000, Ward wrote:

> I had not thought of the huckleberry in several years.
> We used to pick and eat what we called the huckleberry in North Florida.
>It grew wild in the woods, head tall in dappled shade in very sandy soil,
>slightly sweet in taste with an open eye on the dark purple fruit.

While visiting my parents last week, back in Sweet Home Alabama, I picked &
ate a few handsful of 'huckleberries', while the kids and I were out
roaming the woods and hunting arrowheads. I think, in actuality, that they
are more correctly identified as sparkleberry/farkleberry - Vaccinium
arboreum, if I'm recalling correctly. Tasty little morsels, but boy, it'd
take a long long time to ever pick enough to do much with them. Almost
succumbed to the temptation to bring some cuttings back to KY and attempt
rooting them (but I didn't).

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY