nafex - Re: [nafex] Berry Identification

  • From: "Margie Luffman" <luffmanm@EM.AGR.CA>
  • To: andy.correnti@lmco.com, nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Berry Identification
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:54:01 -0400

Hello Andy. It is probably a mulberry tree. The genus is Morus. I was also
amazed the first tiem I saw one.

Margie

Margie Luffman
Curator, Canadian Clonal Genebank Program
Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada
Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre
2585 County Road 20
Harrow, Ontario
N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2251 ext. 474
Fax: 519-738-2929
E-mail: luffmanm@em.agr.ca

>>> "Correnti, Andy" <andy.correnti@lmco.com> 06/14 12:47 pm >>>
Hi Group
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to berries and would like some help in
identiying this berry. It is just ripening now here in zone 6B near
Philadelphia. It is growing on a 15 ft tall tree! It's definitely a tree
not a bush with a single 10" diameter trunk. No thorns, smooth bark. The
berries are about 1/2 inch long and have that cluster of beads look like a
blackberry. They get dark purple when ripe. Start out yellow. Taste is
mild, a little sweet.

The next question is: I've lived here 6 years and this is the first year
there have been any berries on this tree, now it's fully loaded. Could it
be it's just coming into bearing? Or is it pollination? Why all of a
sudden the mass amounts of fruit?

Please educate me...

Thanks
Andy