nafex - [nafex] Re: apple's worms

  • From: fuwafuwausagi@usa.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: apple's worms
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:54:02 -0000

Blue River wrote:

Hi, if any one knows how to control apple's worms by
organic solutions spray, please let me know.

I have 2 apple trees but the worms eat all, I don't
know how to control it and I don't want to use
pesticide to spray my apple trees

My reply:

Uhhh...okay...

First of all I cannot help you in the sense that you requested, but
perhaps I can help you in another fashion.

Organic is very mismanaged word. Your usage of the word "pesticide"
and the word "spray control" is basically an oxymoron. If it keeps
the pest away and deters a pest, it is a pesticide.

In addition many so called organic solutions are probably more harmful
then their "pesticide" counterparts. And then there are the home
brewing fans of Jerry Baker...I would think twice about most of those
concoctions.

I am primarily an organic gardener...however I have given up on any
fantasy of growing chemical free apples in my area. My neighbors
sadly neglected trees, the 100 year plus decaying remains of old
orchards virtually assure me of heavy pest pressures. So wihtout
regard for my efforts at biodiversity I am at the mercy of the moron
with 12 neglected old variety crab trees across the street.

My suggestion is decide your tolerance level. I would also ask
yourself "why"? A lot of people object to so called pesticides
because they are indiscriminate killers...true, but it depends on
usage. For instance the home grower can get away wiht a row of
cordons on M27 or M26 rootstocks. With such a set-up you can easily
eyeball your plants as you spray them and make sure the spray goes
where it is intended and is not wasted. So in th eoverall scheme of
things how harnful is my spraying of a few cordons in a yard that is
90% chemical free??? Bu the by in my pest infested area I can grow
the following without using any sprays and with little effort:

blackberries
raspberries
strawberries
blueberries
sour cherries
pears
gooseberries
currants
tomatoes
watermelon
musk melon
elderberries
sand cherries
grapes
mulberries

with light sprays(dormant oil and Imidan):

plum
peaches

If you look at the above list you can see I am in fruit from May until
October without having to even think of sprays.

One advantage of the home orchard is you can choose the level of
pesticides to use. Where as your apples in the grocery store may be
nuked a dozen times you can grow decent apples with about 4 sprays.

With varietal selection you can probably reduce that to two and still
get 50% usable fruit.

Good luck and good growing,

the rabbit