nafex - RE: [nafex] Calcium Build Up

  • From: "Raby, Brian {20-4~Indianapolis}" <BRIAN.RABY@ROCHE.COM>
  • To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Calcium Build Up
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:01:06 -0400

Tom,

There is a wonderful publication by Purdue University that was distributed a couple months ago regarding using our ground water, which is considered hard, for spraying.  The following is a clip from an article submitted by Dr. Bruce Borderlon

Getting the Most Out of Glyphosate and Other Sprays: Fruit growers often apply a post-emergent herbicide beneath the tree or vine row in
spring to control winter annuals and other weeds. Often a pre-emergent herbicide is included in this application. Glyphosate (Roundup) is a
post emergent systemic herbicide that is widely used for this first weed spray.

In order for glyphosate to be effective, it needs to be absorbed into the plant. In soft water glyphosate has no problems in being absorbed. However in hard water glyphosate will be 'tied up' and not absorbed as readily. Hard water, common in many parts of Indiana, contains high concentrations of soluble salts, calcium and magnesium. When these cations are present they react with the negatively charged glyphosate to form compounds that are not readily absorbed by plants.
This results in poor uptake and poor weed control. The solution to the hard water problem is to add ammonium sulfate to the spray water before
mixing with glyphosate. Ammonium sulfate ions tie up the calcium and magnesium ions forming conjugate salts. Additionally, some of the
glyphosate reacts with ammonium to form a compound that some weeds preferentially absorb. Follow the Roundup label recommendations on the
amount of ammonium sulfate to add. Another problem associated with spray water quality is that many fungicides and insecticides break down
quickly in high pH water. Captan, Cygon, Imidan, Kelthane, malathion, and Omite are examples of compounds that are especially vulnerable to
alkaline hydrolysis. The addition of about 2 ounces of food grade citric acid per 100 gallons of water will lower the pH from about 8.0 to about 5.5.

Here is his contact information:

Bruce Bordelon, 1165 Dept. of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture,
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1165, 317/494-8212,
e-mail: bordelon@hort.purdue.edu

Hope this helps,

Brian
Sheridan, IN