nafex - Re: [nafex] Saskatoons

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Saskatoons
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:00:36 -0500

At 01:25 PM 06/04/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>A few weeks ago there was a lot of interchange on NAFEX regarding
>"saskatoons". I am fascinated. Would it do well here in Maine, Zone 5? How do
>I go about sampling the fruit and how would I purchase some seedlings for
>next spring if I decided to do so? Thanks, Waite Maclin

I've got no doubt that they'd do just fine in Z5 Maine, though, as a number
of folks have indicated, cedar-serviceberry rust can be a problem in some
areas - thus far, mine have not been afflicted.

I've purchased most of my named-variety saskatoon/juneberry(A.alnifolia)
selections from Bill MacKently's St. Lawrence Nurseries(Bill's the NAFEX
Winter Hardiness Consultant). Bill has a large collection of Amelanchier
selections, but doesn't offer them all every year. I've been quite pleased
with the plant materials I've purchased from SLN in the past; check out the
online catalog at:

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us

My alnifolias and obovata(Jennybelle) bushes set very few fruit this year,
or perhaps very few survived the late freezes we experienced on 15 & 16
April, but two mature A.laevis trees at the public library in town set
bumper crops of fruit.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY