nafex - Re: [nafex] Off-topic, sort of: tent caterpillars & equine abortions

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Off-topic, sort of: tent caterpillars & equine abortions
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:30:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

There are all kinds of "experts" everywhere, only too willing to mug for
the media, regardless of the reliability of their findings, or who is
funding them, or telling them their findings before they start.

Yes, man has an influence on nature, but the number of obstacles that
mother nature throws at animals are myriad, and man in not responsible for
every bad turn.

Take straw for instance... Last year was damp, and cool, perfect weather
for plant fungi and disease. If I bed the pigs with straw from last year
their bodies will be stressed by the toxins/fungi accumulated in the
straw and they will develop health problems. Straw from previous years is
fine and causes no problems. The only variation in these pigs lives is
the straw, so we have narrowed it down.

The same thing that happens in the barn, will be happening in the wild
too. It is all too soon to be forgetting about the odd weather last
growing season, the ramifications of which will be around a while.

I wonder if the media realizes that they earning a reputation that excedes
that of used car salesmen, and lawyers by continually pumping out
worthless information with the same vigor they do substansiated fact.

Just one guys opinion anyway.

Later,
Tom

--