nafex - Re: [nafex] Quince for Pear roostock

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Quince for Pear roostock
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:25:56 -0500

Helene,

I put the Ubileen on hawthorn a couple of years back, because I had
received some scionwood at a swapmeet, and didn't have a pear rootstock on
hand at the moment. I knew where a wild-growing hawthorn seedling was, out
in the cow pasture, so I lifted it and transplanted it into the
orchard. It's growing perhaps a bit slower than pears grafted onto pear
rootstock the same year, but looks healthy, just the same.

I lifted every small hawthorn I could find this past winter and
transplanted them closer to the house - used most as rootstocks for some
tiny little mayhaw scions a friend had sent, but have saved 3 or 4 of the
larger ones to be budded to pears later in the season.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY