nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting non- dormant wood, possible?

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting non- dormant wood, possible?
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:56:56 +0000

Hi Kevin,
I've done this often and have had good luck. I do a regular whip & tongue,
wrap with a stretchy plastic like surveyors' tape (not the shiny kind). Then
cover the graft with a folded over and stapled white paper to shade. This
shading should work with other than w & t. Be careful to limit the number of
buds on the scion and how many you allow to grow. Years ago, David Doud
recommended allowing only one bud to grow and this becomes the new tree. It
has always worked well for me and you get a nice whip that grows at the rate
of what water and nutrients are available to it. I have even done this in
July just to see if it would work. The only difference then was that I nipped
off the leaves, left the petiole and forced the second bud.
vic NH zone 3