nafex - [nafex] re:osage orange, prunus

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] re:osage orange, prunus
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 21:32:14 -0000

When I lived in N. Calif. I encountered both osage and almond. They
have a
nature in common. The sapwood shrinks dramatically more than the heart. To
dry them one must seperate the heart completely from the sap.
Most reds found in wood are not color-fast, nor is the brilliant
yellow of
osage, but I find it amazing that red fleshed apples have red heart wood.
Mn. Del Where yesterdays' snow has melted and this current 2 day
shower has just topped 4 1/2".