nafex - Re: [nafex] FIRE BLIGHT

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] FIRE BLIGHT
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:20:43 -0500

At 01:10 PM 05/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>WE ARE FINDING FIRE BLIGHT HERE IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS. YOU SHOULD BE
>WALKING YOUR ORCHARD DAILLY LOOKING FOR STRIKES. CUT THEM OUT
>IMMEDIATELY AND BURN

FB hit my orchard probably 2 weeks or more ago - I've pruned out greater
than 50% of the total structure of 6-7 year old trees of Clapp's Favorite,
Chojuro, and Shinko(Singo) pears.
Other varieties fostered onto the Clapp's tree(Mustafabey, Ubileen, and a
flat-bottomed Southern variety) were unaffected, but they were last year's
grafts and did not blossom.

Pink Pearl was hit hardest of any of the apples in my orchard.

I'm still checking as often as possible, and continue to have to prune out
affected wood, almost every day.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY