nafex - [nafex] Re: grafting apricot

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: grafting apricot
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:27:43 -0000

Bob,
I think that summer budding is used by most of the professionals.

Dormant budwood is easier to distribute than summer budwood.

You can also spring bud (supposedly) if you time it right.

As I have noted in prior messages, I am budding challenged (I have
never successfully T- or Chip-budded). I've been so unsuccessful,
I've gotten gun-shy about doing and would rather whip&tongue if at
all possible. (Of course when you have have a hammer, every problem
looks like a nail...)

I have successfully whip&tongued plum, apricot, and cherry. I'm
attempting peach this year as well. I've also grafted one persimmon
this way and am attempting 4 more.

My method I believe originally came from Lon Rombough.

First, wait until your rootstock is breaking bud to initial leaf
out. (I have mainly grafted to already planted stock - not bench
grafted). Take your dormant scion wood, and graft it to your
rootstock. Then take a clear plastic bag (or bread wrapper) and
either fill it with a 10% bleach soln and dump it out OR (what I do)
blow into the bag a few times to increase the humidity inside the
bag. Cover the scion and graft with the bag and tie it shut. Then
take a paper bag (either a lunch bag or similarly sized bag), cut the
corners out and cover the plastic bag and tie it shut. Watch for
growth of the scion. When the growth looks reasonably vigorous, find
a series of cloudy days (or as close as you can get), and gradually
remove the bags from the scionwood.

Good luck!
Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6