nafex - [nafex] plum grafts

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] plum grafts
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 13:07:21 -0000

This spring I top-grafted a dozen prunus americana to various
scions..pembina, prarie egg, green gage, evans cherry, manchurian plum.
Some trees were 3' bushes that I saved 3 or 4 verticles with 80 degree
crotches, and some were 4' trees that I cleft grafted at various heights.
THEN I found this in my notes yestereday from the "Hardy Tree and
Bush
Fruits"site: 'Prunus Americana makes a weak combination and the tree
should be planted deep so the scion will develope its own roots'

Oops! Why is it one has time to do research after one needs it? Has anyone
else top grafted americana sucessfully? Any suggestions on strenghtening
these potentially weak joints? Mn Del where it's supposed to hit 80F
today...that'll wake up the sleepy apple buds