nafex - Re: [nafex] there's hope

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] there's hope
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:14:45 +0000

Stay optimistic Del, it is harder up in these cold regions because there
haven't
been commercial orchards up here to the degree of the warmer zones. I grew up
in
zone 5 - Mac country - and it took a long time for folks to believe that there
were any other apples out there besides Macs and Cortlands. Delicious, red or
yellow were 'store apples.'
What I found up here when I became obsessed with finding apples and other
fruit
that would survive and produce, was that the old timers were not the ones to
be
converted. Unlike the younger generations brought up on store varieties, the
older folk where I live now, would mention Duchess and Wolf River, August
Apple
(which was a very local name for Yellow Transparent) and of course Peach
Apple.
Unless they knew where an old tree grew though, they thought these apples were
no longer available.
It's largely an education thing. I think once your clientele, and you will
have
it, becomes aware of the delight of trying out new fruit tastes and the vast
improvement over commercial strains, they will be asking for more.
vic NH zone 3

del stubbs wrote:

> Joe wrote
>
> >>The ability, the desire, to learn the finer points of growing plants
> >kept humans from extinction for many thousands of years. I think that
> >desire to know must be strongly ingrained. Either as instict, genetic,
> >cultural....whatever.
>
> This stubborn belief in humanity is part of what powers me into this crazy
> business of planting orchards where none exist, and local experts say it's
> impossible. The dream that in 10 years I'll have a fruit stand selling 25
> kinds of apples and 25 kinds of various other fruit varieties to a
> population that has only imported stuff to eat. And the hope that they will
> actually believe it, and be interested, even if the fruit is 'cosmetically
> challenged'. And if that fails, my wife and our friends will have all we
> can eat, and I've had a blast trying. And in nafex i've met a fine group of
> folk. Mn. Del

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM