nafex - [nafex] marketer's mirage

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] marketer's mirage
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 15:45:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Speaking of a "marketer's mirage", 90% of the apple trees at one local
nursery are "collection" trees. They each carry 4 grafts of various
apple varieties.

It is funny... When I talk to the nurseryman they tell me there is less
and less interest in fruit.

With selections like a "collection" apple, which is bound to produce an
unusual, unbalanced tree, which will most likely dissapoint the grower, it
is no wonder there is less interest in fruit.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Wed, 9 May 2001, dwalsh/wchase wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I agree that the columnar apple trees are a marketer's mirage. The ones
> I've seen
> definitely grow branches and these must be cut off early and the person who
> buys
> this does not know it ... result is a dwarf semi-branched apple tree with
> bland-tasting fruit.
>
> Also, they are marketed as stand-alone apple trees, but they are not
> self-fertile.
>
> Derry
>
> Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
> Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
> phone/fax (604) 856-9316
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> :
> : My two cents is that the columnar form stinks for raising quality
> : fruit. One vertical with
> : many 6" side branches and fruit on side branches. Roger's kept pushing
> : vigorous side branches at 30 degrees from vertical which then competed
> : with the central leader. Stark's response was that the grower had to
> : prune them to make them look like the picture in the catalog. Roger was
> : put-out because he could prune *any* tree to look like the picture.
> :
> Columnar apples are an
> : bad idea that was some Madison Avenue types used as a gimmick to foist
> : trees onto the naive public.
>
> :
> : -Joe Hecksel
> : Eaton Rapids, Michigan

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM