nafex - [nafex] remote watering & hoses

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] remote watering & hoses
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 12:25:15 -0000

Until I get drip lines in there's one area hoses wont reach. I must remote
water it when mama nature doesn't do it. Putting a 50 gallon drum on a
garden trailor behind garden tractor is no new idea....but most 50 gallon
drums have had questionable stuff in them. So I went to the local soft drink
distritbuter and bought their white plastic drums. They have a permanent lid
and 2 threaded bungs which fit a standard faucet. All was well except that a
standard faucet is so restricted that the gravity pressure made the flow
frustratingly slow.....I found I could force thread in the female thread of
a garden hose (garden hose is not same as tapered pipe thread, but close
emnough in plastic to work) This was a big help, I strappd on the drum and
now remote watering is a breeeze.

Could buy a full flow faucet I suppose also.

I took two of the drums, set my saw for a shallow cut, sawed them in half
length wise and they make great rain shields for rotitillers, watering
troughs, etc.

Hoses. For fire fighting and watering I needed a 300 foot hose. The cheap
5/8 hardware store variety would have so much pressure drop it would be
funny, and 3/4 not that much better. While visiting Minneapolis i looked up
'hoses' in the yellow pages. sure enough there were several choices of
commercial hose suppliers. In short order i got two connectable sections of
1" black rubber hose for I believe under a dollar a foot.The pressure is
still adequate at 300'.