nafex - Re: [nafex] FW: Could somebone give me some helpful tips on planting Jujube from dried Jujube dates ?

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Cc: "Leo Manuel" <leom@rarefruit.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] FW: Could somebone give me some helpful tips on planting Jujube from dried Jujube dates ?
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:25:40 +0530

There is no problem in the germination of jujube. The problem is in
transplanting as its tap root grows straing down and gets cut while
transplanting. This leads to mortality.

To overcome this problem, many commercial nurseries have concrete lined seed
beds which does not let the tap root go down.

I would advise Mr. Joel the sow the seeds in pots that are about 9" deep.
Let the seedlings grow in the pots for about a year before transplanting in
the field.

I do not know dried juube dates. But I hope that these are not very old and
the seeds are still viable.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant on Lesser Known Indian Fruits
http://www.lesserknownplants.com