nafex - Re: [nafex] W-F-I, slighly off-topic

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] W-F-I, slighly off-topic
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 09:16:29 -0500 (CDT)

> Willows. As I'm watching our pussy willows blossom this week I
think to
> take cuttings and plant a few hundred feet along one of our new
> ponds...anyone know the best time of year and type of cutting to
stick in
> the ground?

Anytime with willows. Best practice, according to Limnologist Don
Garling (Michigan State University) is to *not* plant willows near
ponds. Leaves drop into water, decompose and consume oxygen. Snow on
ice limits photosynthesis. Fish kill can result. Also, decomposing
leaves add nutrients and water gets scummy. Probably OK to plant
willows where prevailing winds will not blow leaves into water. Wind
also scours ice for better skating.

> Fire. Came home from a blacksmith conference this weekend to 30
mph
> winds, smoke in the air, and watching from our picture window a
forestry
> airplane skimming the treetops dropping its load of water and going
back to
> the nearby lake and scooping up another load, over and
over.....flying so
> slow and low over trees and power lines. Thats one man who's hand
I'd like
> to shake.

Don't go snorkling when that guy is working.

> Ice. With the amazing weather reversals this week....from 8" snow
> forest fires.

----you got that straight. I planted tomato plants yesterday just so
I can say I got them planted. Never planted tomatos outside in April
before. Probably get flattened by frost. But it is worth it for the
bragging rights. BTW, tomatos are fruit.

...Im a bit behind in grafting and transplanting. Went down
> into our ravine and found huge blocks of ice. Hauled what a I could
up to
> our basement and layed it on the wet sand where I'm keeping stock
I'm
> processing.....its really helping the dormancy and sanity here for a
couple
> days. Mn. Del

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM