nafex - [nafex] Grafted Trees

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Grafted Trees
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:24:38 -0400

For Brian Raby:

I am probably not the best guy to consult on budding, since I have
never done it. My experience is limited, so far, to whip/tongue
grafting, and not a whole lot of that. Nevertheless, it does seem that
you have several options for your Bud 9 rootstocks. If you can chip
bud them in the fall, so much the better, or you could stool them and
grow your own Bud 9's. I don't know what the patent situation is on Bud
9, but doubt there is a problem if they are for your own use. Finally,
you could whip/tongue graft them early next spring. If you have planted
them out, I would definately leave them in place.
May I ask what influenced your choice of Bud 9? I have always been
under the impression that the Bud series are primarily intended for more
rigorous climates. Perhaps I am wrong about this, but it seems in the
Indianapolis area you would be better off with M-9. Of course, I don't
know what other reasons you may have for selecting Bud 9.
Strawberries are looking terrific here too this spring. I replanted
a couple of large beds with Delmaravel and Jewel, and a small bed of the
new everbearer Selva. From Indiana Plant & Berry. I have managed to
keep the deer off them this winter and spring, which has made a
tremendous difference. Don't ask how.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM