nafex - [nafex] Hunza apricots, a report

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com, "RPurvis@nass.usda.gov" <RPurvis@nass.usda.gov>, "cabetter@qnis.net" <cabetter@qnis.net>
  • Subject: [nafex] Hunza apricots, a report
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:39:15 -0400

Hello all:

A quick report on "Hunza" apricots.

Dr Maxine Thompson brought back budwood and seed from a trip to
Pakistan. The budwood was lost but the seeds were grown and evaluated.
Dr. Craig Ledbetter has been using them in some of his breeding programs
(based in California). I got his name from Lon Rombough (thanks, Lon).
Craig is a very pleasant fellow. He sent me four selections. I grafted
them. Two of them took: 1416-1 and 1393-6. Both survived the winter
with no dieback. Low temperature was -14F. Saw no dieback on sweet
cherry, so it was not too tough of a test. 1393-6 had many blossoms.
1416-1 had none.

Dr Ledbetter was very careful to warn me that these were not
"commercial" quality apricots. The fruit is small. Notable
characteristics were late blooming and high soluble solids. 1393-6
bloomed three days before Harlayne, so late blooming might be a chill
requirement issue.

Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM