nafex - [nafex] Straw Mulch to delay leafing out

  • From: "Robert L. Thomasson" <102073.3346@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:nafex@yahoogroups.com" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Straw Mulch to delay leafing out
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:42:14 -0400

Bernie,

Thanks for posting this interesting information. I had it backwards,
thinking that mulch would keep the
roots and soil warmer by providing a layer of insulation against the cold
air. Like most things, I still don't have it figured out.
I think the mulch may work to keep the soil somewhat warmer during the
winter, and I've never considered that
in spring it may work the other way, keeping it cooler by keeping it out
of contact with the heat of the sun and warmer spring air.

- Bob

> Apparently a young apple tree needs
heat on the roots to grow well, and the straw mulch cools the ground plus
delays leafing out in spring. Once an apple tree is a bit older, say 4
years plus, the roots seem not to be bothered by the cooler temperatures
and
later start. So if you live in a cold climate, don't mulch young trees
until they are a few years old. I no longer mulch young trees, and the
increase in growth the first few years is very noticible. Black soil kept
weed free around the young trees gives the best growth by far in my
climate,
at least for the first 3 years or so.<

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM