nafex - Re: [nafex] FW: organic works - the evidence

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] FW: organic works - the evidence
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:05:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

If you think that US farmers complain about unfair competition head north
and listen to Canadian farmers.

Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 jhecksel@voyager.net wrote:

> Wow! Treacherous ground. This could turn into a lively thread.
>
> I have read commentary about US farmers complaining about "unfair"
> competition from Argentina, etc. They do not have the same input
> costs. They accept lower yields by having more acres in rotation.
> They make their money by producing commodities at the lowest possible
> costs. All those chemical inputs cost cash-money. In hard currency.
> They avoid buying N by growing alfalfa for a few years. Grow one or
> two years of maize. Then a year or two of small grains. Then
> soybeans. Then back to alfalfa. The rotation reduces disease
> problems.
>
> US farmers cannot afford this approach because he/she has high fixed
> costs (property, equipment) and debt that he/she must service.
>
> > from todays "Nature"
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Although Reganold's study finds that this is certainly not the
> case
> > for growing Golden Delicious in Washington, it does not necessarily
> > imply that organic farming is more environmentally and economically
> > sound for other types of agriculture in other regions, he admits.
> >
> > Dennis Avery, director of the Center for
> > Global Food Issues in Churchville, Virginia argues that this is a
> > persistent problem with research hailing the benefits of organic
> > systems.
> >
> > "The real issue of sustainability doesn't have a lot to do with
> > intensive fruit and vegetable production," says Avery. He argues
> > that it is the large-scale production of staple crops like wheat,
> > corn, rice and wood that have the greatest impact on whether or not
> > agriculture is environmentally and economically sustainable and that
> > organic methods cannot produce sufficient yields in these crop
> > systems to compete with conventional methods. "Organic field crops
> > are 50 to 60 percent less productive per acre," says Avery.
>
> <snip>

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM