nafex - Crandall Creep

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: ginda@concentric.net
  • Cc: Ed@currants.com
  • Subject: Crandall Creep
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:39:50 EDT

Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
Crandall Creep

You wrote:

Ed, do your Crandalls tend to roam?  The three that have been in the
same spot in the sun for two years each sent up a shoot last year a foot
or so away from the crown (a sucker?).  This year, I see several new
shoots emerging at the base of each sucker.  (Also, many new shoots
emerging from the established crown.)  Will I end up with a thicket if I
leave them alone?  Would it be easy to cut the "children" off from the
parents and transplant elsewhere?

I haven't decided if a thicket would be a good thing or a bad thing yet.
. .

Ginda Fisher

My response:

Yes they do, they are kinda like raspberries, shoots at  the base and also
remote.
I treat mine like raspberries, two steel posts driven at each end of the row
at an angle
And then two wires to keep the plants in reasonable upright position, they
get a little
"scraggled" and I prune them off.

I started with two rows (about 50 plants) now I have a lot more, too many
shoots.
You can dig and replant the remote shoots, but I would do it in the fall -
October.
They do not have a lot of root the first year.

Hope this is a help

BTW, I have "Open House"  on the 7th of July, most of the currants and
gooseberries
will be ripe then, Like to meet you if you could get down this way.

Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857
Ed@currants.com