nafex - Re: [nafex] Kiwi

  • From: kiwibob@umailme.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Kiwi
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 22:45 +0100

>Hi NAFEX:
>Will an Issai Kiwi pollinize a female Hayward Kiwi ?
>My Hayward is about 3 years old and has 3 flowers on it and my Issai
>is bought from a nursery and planted early this spring....it has many
>flowers and they flower same time as Hayward and look the same except
>smaller.
>If the Issai won't pollinize it, will a male hardy do the
>job....asking in case my young Hayward male doesn't make it???
>Thanks...Pete zone 8b

>From Kiwibob Glanzman, NAFEX Kiwi Interest Group Coordinator

No, Issai is an "allohexaploid" and is self-fertile only on itself. An
arguta male can pollinate Hayward but the pollen grains are usually too small
to make the pollen tube penetrate all the way to the Hayward ovary, hence
underpollination is the usual result. A deliciosa male on the other hand
will "overkill" pollinate an arguta female. All depending on coincidental
bloom of course.
Host your Internet site completely free!

Teach your child to read with Hooked on Phonics!
Hooked on Phonics is easy for parents, fun for
children and highly recommeded by educators.
Discover why over 2 million families have purchased
Hooked on Phonics to help their children succeed.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/oPDEUD/mfYCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM