nafex - Re: [nafex] Grafting/budding elderberry?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Grafting/budding elderberry?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:47:03 -0700

Trouble with grafting is that elderberries sucker a lot, and it's a good
idea to remove older shoots regularly and keep the bush renewed with the
newer shoots. With a grafted one, you don't have any new shoots from the
base of the plant that will renew the variety, unless you continually graft
it on the newer shoots. Much easier to have an own-rooted plant.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

Join the Garden Writers List
To subscribe, send a blank message to: Gardenwriters-subscribe@topica.com

----------
>From: Gene Spears <Spears@LMC.edu>
>To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] Grafting/budding elderberry?
>Date: Fri, Apr 13, 2001, 5:50 AM
>

> I have planted some named elderberry varieties and have lots of wild
>ones growing around the house. Was wondering if it would be worthwhile to
>try to graft/bud some of the named ones (much larger fruit clusters) to the
>natives? They're already leafing out, so it's probably too late for
>grafting this year, but how about budding? Anyone tried this?
>
>gene
>spears@lmc.edu
>zone 6, western NC

Teach your child to read with Hooked on Phonics!
Hooked on Phonics is easy for parents, fun for
children and highly recommeded by educators.
Discover why over 2 million families have purchased
Hooked on Phonics to help their children succeed.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/oPDEUD/mfYCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM