nafex - [nafex] Important detail on bridge grafting

  • From: "H.Dessureault" <inter.verbis@atreide.net>
  • To: "Nafex" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Important detail on bridge grafting
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:35:45 -0400

To a disappointed grafter:

I read a comment recently on bridge grafting which I wanted to reply to, but I have now lost the message and the name of the person who was writing.
The person I am refering to was unhappy about the technique and complained about the limb used as a bridge falling out of place.
Someone else had described using small finishing nails at both end to tuck the carved tips into the live bark on both side of the gap to be bridged...
So I won't go over the method again.

The following aspect was missing from the description.

The limb of good live wood taken from the same tree (if possible) which is used to do the bridging has to be LONGER than the distance to cover. When the tips of the limb cut in the usual manner are nailed into place the limb bulges outward, of course, because it is too long. But the curve creates a tension which keep the limb in place under the bark at both ends and a good contact.

The nails are a necessary support but without the tension, the wood tends to get loose and lose contact. What appeared to have been the right length has become too short!!!

After a while, when the graft has taken, the limb looses the bulge and straightens itself into a perfect fit. Scarring tissues grow at each end and later the limb which now carries the cadmium accross the gap also gets wider and stronger.

Hélène
Zone 3

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click for Details